NCACP Engineering Logo
Roadster / Formula Notes
by Kelly Neal - Wednesday, August 31, 2011, 6:09 PM

3rd Followup:

Gentlemen,

There are few changes this year and I want to get the word out as soon as possible.

1. Race slicks are allowed. FHS had a booth at the American Lemans race at Road America. While I was there, I was able to talk with Cooper Tires, the tire sponsor for the USF2000 race class. Through discussions, Cooper Tires and their distributor have agreed to sell us used race slicks that are the EXACT same size as the street tires we have previously used. I was able to purchase 5 sets for $200. The tires have a ton of tread left and should last a team for at least two-three years. There will be a rule change that if the track is wet, treaded rain tires will be mandatory. These tires are freaking sticky!!!!

Teams will be able to order tires through me (The distributor does not want to deal with multiple school requests). PLEASE let me know by September 30 how many tires you will need. I will then forward that number to the tire distributor so that they can hold that number of tires at their first early Spring race in Florida. I will not know the shipping costs until they know how many tires will need to be sent. Teams will then need to come up to Preble and pick them up unless you’ve made other arrangements with me.

1. We will now require the new 360 Plus neck collar. This was a request from the safety crews at Road America.

2. September 25, 2011 – USA International Raceway FHS event. Jeremy Hodkiewicz from Shawano will be the contact for all information about this event. I’m sure he will be getting us the proper paperwork and procedures pretty soon, so keep an eye out for his email if you are attending.

3. 2012 Road America dates- still up in the air. I contacted Road America last week and they still can’t commit to a date yet. I’ll keep pushing and we’ll get that date nailed down ASAP.

4. Hilliard Differentials - New price: $285 due to metal prices. I need to know from teams by September 30 to how many gearboxes they will need so we can get that order started.

5. Gallery Page – I did not have decent pictures for some teams to create a team page for the website. Please create a Word document with pictures and send it to me. I’ll then get it up on the website.

6. Type 1 Roadster – if your team is looking at creating a Type 1 this year, please contact me for details. I’ll work with those teams directly.

Lastly, we really need to make we are making deadlines this year. PLEASE make sure your teams stay up to date with deadlines for orders, paperwork, etc…

LASTLY: If you know another school that is going to be joining FHS this year, please have their advisor contact me so I can get them on my email list.

As always… any questions, just ask.

2nd followup:

I should be able to try to get the files emailed to you on Friday. The files are pretty big, so if I have problems, I’ll burn a CD and get it in the mail on Friday.

Answers: Only Briggs engines. By limiting the engines to Briggs, we can use a lot of the engine parts currently available for the Bandolero cars. This also makes it a heck of a lot easier for the officials at the track. We also have to play a little politics too. Long story for an email, but call me and I’ll tell you.

Check out the online catalogue at www.uslegendcars.com

Model numbers: Made a mistake, it’s up to 23 HP. We limiting teams to the 35 series V-twin. That’s the same block we used on the original, just without all the custom tuning. So look for model numbers starting with 35xxxx.

Max engine RPM: 5600 RPM max. We’re going to have the teams install this: http://store.uslegendcars.com/site/department.cfm?refid=25&id=2562DE55-B0D0-791A-65ACF449DA47CC01

That will eliminate any issues of winding the engines above what’s safe. I’ll have to check with B&S to see if the stock flywheel can handle that. Teams MIGHT need to change it.

I’ll need to know about bodies by the end of September. I can’t quote a price on the T1 body yet. I’ll have to talk to our composites company to verify a price. Engines I have… tires will need to be ordered in January, unless they will have some left before October. We’re at the mercy of when the USF2000 races are run for tires. Gearboxes should be close to the same as last year.

Followup Email:

Roadster Questions:
1. 21 HP max for base engine size. We will allow teams to put in a "rev kit" for the valves, but no other power adders. Engine can be either horizontal or vertical and yes, the CVT will work on both styles.
2. Biggest issue you have with running a different spindle is the geometry of the suspension. If you use a different spindle, you might just make the car have a ton of bumpsteer or other unwanted gyrations. If your team takes that approach, get with a suspension designer/expert. The current design works and is a proven design.
3. I think we're going to limit the roadsters to 850 RPM MAX with a 21" diameter rear tire. This would give the roadsters just a tick faster top speed of the open wheels, while also getting the benefit of the torque from the CVT.
Formula:
1. Research I've done says the CVT will work in either direction.
2. Full 3D model of the suspension system and how it is going to connect to the chassis. It would be great if your team could work with a suspension expert so he/she can make sure they are doing it right.
FYI: We will also be allowing teams to use race tires. This weekend, I was able to talk to Cooper Tires. They are willing to sell the FHS program used Formula 2000 slicks for $10/each plus shipping. I'll be getting more information in September. We are also going to change the rule to match typical road racing rules: All teams must use a wet tire if the track is wet. Takes away any guessing about the tire rule.

Initial Email:
As far as the rules for the Type 1, the basic chassis should look like ours, but we're going to "detune" the engine. That way we can allow the students to drive the vehicle without Briggs going nuts. We're thinking about allowing the teams to use up to a 21 HP engine, but allow them to change the valve springs for higher RPM durability.
OR... you could take a 16 HP and do the same thing. It would be interesting to see what that engine would do with a rev kit and the CVT.